On Nov 8, 2009, at 2:43 PM, MrMike6by9 wrote:
Just a brief comment. If I switch to another app on the iPhone from a
Apple native app such as Safari, Safari will bring up the last page
viewed when I return to it. The iPod player works the same way.
Non-native apps "start from the beginning". I can listen to a radio
station with Ootunes on the phone but I cannot read my email at the
same time. When I return to Ootunes, it does resume that last station
but it cannot play in the background while I'm viewing email. The
Sirius app has the same limitation. The iPhone does multitask but only
with the default, native apps.

I suspect this is a marketing tactic. Apple adds features to its iPods and iPhones quite regularly, but seems to be in no hurry. I guess they don't need to hurry as long as they have no real competition. Instead they make each successive mode a little more appealing than the previous. This encourages people to upgrade. Put another way: Apple's only competition is Apple so they can manage the introduction of features at a rate that benefits them the most.