Always doing its best to be helpful, M$ wants to let you know that if you want to install W7 on a new drive you are a dirty rotten crook.

Windows 7 upgrade 'hacks' not legal, Microsoft suggests
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/11/02/windows-7-upgrade-hacks-not-legal.aspx?s=gcndaily_041109

"Over the past several days, there have been various posts…[showing] that a Windows 7 Upgrade disc can perform a 'clean' installation of Windows 7 on a blank drive from a technical perspective," Ligman wrote last week in a Microsoft small-to-medium business blog. "Of course, from the posts I saw, they often forgot to mention a very basic, yet very important, piece of information.... 'Technically possible' does not always mean legal."

WFBs will of course take umbrage at the site of us ROTFLOLing, but we just can't help it. You dirty rotten crooks!