Maybe not "own" it in the sense that you seem to have taken my
statement.  There's nothing wrong with the primary ISP.  I just want
the flexibility to adjust servers as appropriate.

The dialup is valuable because it's portable, almost infinitely if that's
not a contradiction in terms.  Anywhere there's a phone line.

Diverse routing has value.  It's an eggs in baskets issue,  why would
one not prefer to distribute risk?

I'm not ticked off at VZ, they are what they are.  I'm mostly ticked
off at RCN, at this point.  They've made it impossible for the average
user to implement a distributed server model.  It's their way or the
highway.

Pretty high handed for a pissant cable company (that I actually like
better than Cox or Comcast).