On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM, mike <xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric Schmidt admitted nothing that all of us didn't already know.  We've all
> been sitting around drinking tea pretending that gorilla wasn't there...the
> gorilla that means you have no privacy.  Eric was just bold enough to point
> it out.

  So, way is Google compiling and storing and aggregating all that
personal data?  Why is Google spending what is probably a hefty amount
of money to do all of that?  CEO Schmidt says it is because of the
Patriot Act.  Is there some requirement in the Patriot Act that
necessitates the collection of personal data on customers and the
keeping of that data for some specified period of time just in the
event that a portion of it may needed by "authorities?"  Or, is it
more likely that Google really collects this data to be provided to
other businesses as a revenue stream?  I just don't see Google
spending their time and money in order to retain data on behalf of law
enforcement unless they are essentially a division of law enforcement
or see themselves as such and thus act accordingly.

  Steve