People think completely differently and have patience and time for different kinds of things.

I am constantly seeing hoards of people who are "in the ditch" with their computer as soon as anything departs from the narrow path they have for email, browsing, uploading their pics to the camera etc..

Don't know how to change their browser home page, only go back and forth or close windows when browsing as their method of control, are using their "recents" as an addressbook, can't conceptualize what photosharing sites are or how to use them, have no idea of what the "cloud" is, have no apps on their iPhone and don't know how to put them there or use their iPhone for anything else but a phone and emailer (that the Apple store set up for them).

Most importantly... they are pretty much as "started" as they are ever going to be and never try to use the computer itself to help them figure out any issue or capability they encounter. They have 0 aptitude and interest for figuring out the interface images they see. Someone has shown them how to do this or that ... and that is pretty much where they remain.

These are the people who the GUI was invented for and these people now make up the majority of computer users in the US today.

These are the people who better intuitive window control and taskbars/ docks are meant for because they constantly are making their icons go "poof" etc.

Not for the people who know how to and do subscribe and participate in a Computerguys list.

Yes.... you and I know how to "start" on most any computer related issue ... But do we know what the rest of the world is about and what their limitations and needs are?
Or is that our prideful ignorance and our "limitation"?

db

Reid Katan wrote:
Quoting b_s-wilk <b1sun...@yahoo.es>:

And it's not complicated for you... you have long been an IT who loves to learn this stuff. The fact that IT people think and expect everyone else to be like them is the big geek disconnect that the rest of the world wonders about and makes fun of.

I'm an artist who has been using Macs and PCs since they were invented,
workstations and mainframes before that. There were no classes, no IT,
no certifications, no third party books, no Internet [only BBS], only
friends, coworkers, user groups, some tech support, mostly from other
users and pros.

And I suspect it'll be increasingly harder to find people who have *no* experience with computers. So I would expect that most would have enough experience to get *started* using a computer.