Defragging shouldn't cause crashing at any rate. But most users don't
need to defrag but maybe once or twice a year. I use MyDefrag
(formerly JKDefrag) (freeware) on some machines; on my own I use
PerfectDisk (pay).

I'd sure want to get to the cause of the crashes while the unit is
still under warranty. Don't you have anything to offer us besides a
coworker's opinion?