On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Reid Katan wrote:
Quoting Michael Fernando <michael....@gmail.com>:

Option 3: Please suggest.

(I must run 64-bit OSes, at least as the host OS, to take advantage of all
4Gigs of memory, correct?)

Thanks in advance for suggestions/opinions.

Other than the "streaming video that requires IE" can you do all your other video watching in Ubuntu?

I guess I'd suggest you virtualize Windows for the few(?) times you need IE. Then complain like a mutha' to the offending site(s). They shouldn't be dictating your browser choices like that (which, I guess, you already know :-).

I've found MPlayer can play almost all videos I need to play including
downloaded flash videos from Youtube. And since he mentioned VLC, he
shouldn't forget that VLC is available on Linux as well as Windows, though
I personally have had better luck using Xine to play DVDs on Linux.

The only times I've run into places where I couldn't play video on Linux
is the ABC website which must be using their own player, which refuses to
install if it doesn't detect Windows. So, I suppose a Windows VM would work there.

As for 64-bit, that might be wise in general, but if you're worried about
compatibility, you could use the 32-bit/PAE kernel. Not sure if Ubuntu has
one, but I'm using one on my old Fedora 8 machine with 4GB of RAM.

On the other hand, if all you need Linux for is administrating remote
servers, you could have a pure Windows machine, with Putty for SSH and
Xming (http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) for X display.

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        vi...@steeds.com