OMG. RAID and POTS. Some of us are not aging well. I'm really surprised at the high degree fear of change on what is supposed to be a discussion for techies.

I think anyone who is tech aware has to to admit that the days of POTS (a switched telephone network) are numbered. It just does not make technological sense. We know how to perform this function much better and at lower cost. Saying that we should have an orderly plan for its demise i just good common sense.

That does not mean that twisted copper pairs are going away. In some areas twisted pairs will go away. In other areas that will be around for a long time. What will change is the signaling that travels over the lines. It is going to be purely digital. That is inevitable and it will be happening soon.

Digital does not have to mean poor quality. Analog POTS lines support a frequency domain from 200 to 2000 Hz at best. Transmitting that digitally is no big deal. It is true that some crappy carriers try to push quality below this, but I don't think it is prevalent. The crappy quality of cell phones is more likely the fault of having a crappy cell phone. There are lots of those out there.