I dont live in a high traffic area.  (Southern Alabama lets get real)

I ride a bicycle in DC traffic.  Have for years.  Successfully, so far.

I see people yakking on handheld cells all the time (which is allegedly
illegal) while driving.

The cops don't do anything about it. A cyclist sees a lot of this craziness going on. I happened to be in Tennessee when I saw a guy
nearly collide his Lexus into a semi at 70 mph.  No, I wasn't on a
bicycle at the time. I was in a Ford. But that kind of thing happens all the time.

In aviation, it's called "task load".  You can pick and train the absolute
elite people and build the best interfaces possible and there will still be a
point at which the user will be overwhelmed or distracted.

The classic case is flight 401.

http://www.freshgasflow.com/flight401.htm

There was no attenrion to anything but a burned out lightbulb.

It's VERY hard to concentrate on what's actually important when
the device is demanding attention.