At 9:08 PM -0500 1/13/10, t.piwowar wrote:

Verizon¹s New Motto: Why Not Be Evil?
Pogue¹s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com

"Just in case you were starting to feel a little warmth toward Verizon after a couple days of astonishment over the way it responded to the Federal Communications Commission. . ."

"Owners of the BlackBerry Storm 2 and other Verizon smartphones woke up one day last week to find that they could no longer specify a preferred search services in the Search box on the BlackBerry¹s browser. It¹s Microsoft Bing or nothing. (The BlackBerry used to offer Google, Wikipedia and others.)"

"Why? Because Microsoft paid Verizon $500 million"

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/verizons-new-motto-why-not-be-evil/

Here is Verizon's response: <http://policyblog.verizon.com/BlogPost/686/UseBingOrAnySearchEngineFromYourVZWBlackberry.aspx>

Which starts out:

Verizon Wireless is passionate about ensuring consumer choice in the wireless sector.

Customers still have all the choices they did before. Verizon offers many ramps onto the Internet, including all search engines.

As of this writing, there are 46 comments to this blog posting. I didn't review them, but I don't think they are necessarily friendly.
--
Roger
Lovettsville, VA