Constance, I am not a professional but very much an amateur.

I have some very good SLR's but at this point cant afford a DSLR.

However even professionals used point and shoots and even Polaroids to do pre work.

My dad (whose old exackta I have) even had point and shoots for the everyday stuff. A DSLR is for good work.

I get a kick out of the folks who run around with DSLR's. It is a status symbol or like bling to them, it does not make their picture taking any better.

Stewart