On Jan 19, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Art Clemons wrote:
The truth is that we need some method of rapid charging said batteries on the go. Ten minutes charging for let's say 200 minutes of driving would be reasonable presently (not much longer than filling up with gasoline), but we as a nation don't have the electrical distribution for either battery exchange or fast charging, leaving electric cars as something for local commuting.

Yes that has been worked out. It was discovered that charging takes so long because the electrons have to cross a porous barrier and most of the time they bounce back because they fail to align with the opening in the barrier. Some guys figured out how to eliminate most of the misses so charging can take just a few minutes. Their new problem is figuring out how to supply so much current is such a short time interval.