Whoa. The book was written by Arthur C. Clarke, not Kubrick. It's been
many years since I read it, but as I recall the thing in the picture
you show wasn't a pad, it was the surface coating of the console
itself - the paint, if you will. Probably not too far off, once
flexible e-ink displays become cheap enough we can at least lay them
on a surface. Not sure how long before we can 'paint' a surface with
interactive displays.