I wonder how many millions sit on the sideline, awaiting an iPhone for the rest of us. I have no quarrel with Apple preserving its control over apps, fine. It will be interesting to see, once the contract with ATT is ended, whether Apple will make its device more universal, allowing exchangeable sim cards.

Other GSM providers have been testing the micro SIMs, but in a quick search, I don't see vendors for blank micro SIM cards. I can clone my network's SIM, but can't clone to micro SIM. When these clone devices are available, you'll be able to put your new SIM into an iPad, but it probably won't do 3G unless you use AT&T. The new iPhone will probably use the new SIM, too.

Apple's iPad/iPhone won't be more universal until they support 3G frequencies that all US GSM providers use. Will they add frequencies when the ATT contract ends? Maybe--not likely in the US. Is there an affordable GSM MiFi?