On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:01 PM, Steve at Verizon wrote:
I know the name of the channel is Fox News, but there are two distinct components. Commentary and news. Commentary includes the very conservative Hannity, the populist O'Reilly, the libertarian Beck, and the running-for-president Huckabee.

Their selection of the news they present and the light in which they present it are also slanted to the right. This kind of distortion is most insidious because it slowly brainwashes the viewer. Viewers don't even realize that they have been ever so cunningly transported to another planet.

Try watching WNVT's (DC Metro) feed of RT (Russian Television) for a while. You'll see how picking the stories and the angles skews the information. It will transport you to another planet.

I like using Google News' editing by algorithm. It gives me a variety of news sources and it is interesting to read the same story from different perspectives. Doing that I have learned that it is seldom worthwhile to read Fox News and more recently the Wall Street Journal (now also owned by Rupert Murdoch) is not a healthy place to get news.

For example, I was in Europe while the country was being brainwashed by the media so Bush could attack Iraq. I was amazed at the country's mindset. Today, at a terrible cost, most Americans know what I knew then.

These days one has to make an active effort to avoid media brainwashing.