Tom most governmental positions that are not controlled by Civil Service law are filled with pols frat boys and sorority sisters.

That is how government works, unfortunately.

I cant remember how many positions that are filled when a new administration comes in, but it is huge.

I just read an article on the governments response to Haiti and it was mildly critical on how it all operated.

It took just over 2 weeks for the government to declare a medical emergency (Cant remember correct term) for the evacuation of the injured from Haiti, and it only did so when pressed by Florida when it began dumping all the patients on Florida's hospitals.

Does not sound like they have their act together that much better than the Bush administration. But that is not untypical for government.

In a parliamentary system all minsters plus the prime minister are part of the system that makes laws and votes on them. plus there are weekly question periods.

I loved to listen to the Canadian parliaments question session, quite interesting.

What I am getting at is that they tend to be a little more responsive to stuff as they are constantly in the thick of it, and not one step removed. (and another secret, most of the good work is done behind the scenes by regular civil service types, permanent employees not appointees.)

Stewart