By SAAD FAZIL of VentureBeat
Published: April 16, 2010

Pundits are declaring mobile the new PC. The number of mobile phones far outstrips the number of desktops. Mobile phones are available to people in the developing world who never had an opportunity to buy or even use a PC. With phones becoming smarter, there will be even less need for people to own PCs. Microsoft has dominated the PC-based world ever since it drove Apple close to extinction in the mid ’90s. But with Apple’s strong footing in mobile, its recent release of a larger, tablet form factor, iPad, also based on its mobile iPhone OS, and more form factors likely on the way to challenge the traditional PC, we may be in for a rematch...

...Imagine a stronger and slightly bigger iPad (with perhaps even a keyboard) with multi-tasking capability among features that are lacking in today’s iPad*...the threat to Apple’s mobile dominance won’t come from another platform (like Windows or Blackberry) but from web apps and cloud computing.**

http://www.nytimes.com/external/venturebeat/2010/04/16/16venturebeat-is-apple-readying-for-a-rematch-with-microso-22806.html

--

*A bigger iPad, with a keyboard? Sounds like a notebook. FWIW. I used an iPad on Tuesday. It's heavy, slippery, can be easily dropped. Keyboard is not much better than my iPod keyboard. The curves may be beautiful, but not for holding securely. Combined with the $69 iPad keyboard dock, together they weigh more and are less portable than small notebook. Apple--get back to R&D. I'll take a mini-notebook or 13" MacBook Pro, and keep my iPod Touch, thank you.

**Our broadband went out yesterday, all day, didn't come back until this afternoon. And it's slow, but faster is too expensive. Glad we don't store important things in the so-called "cloud" or use only the simplest web apps, otherwise we'd be SOL.