This is how it's always been, new speech comes along with every
generation and every previous one complains.  I think as far as the
term refresh goes, this has come about when handing out the new Apple
message.  The term is used to describe the new lineup of computers and
laptops, I think they use it because Apple never comes out with
completely new systems but just does small updates to existing lines.
Apple is on the third refresh of the macbook pro I believe.  Perhaps
you are hanging around more Apple folks?  I upgrade my system often,
I'm around those who upgrade often...I know no one who uses the term
refresh for upgrading or rebuilding their systems.  Apps obviously has
come about since the app store from Apple.  And now Apple is pushing
it out to not only their iphone/ipod users but their general imac
population.  I use the phrase in terms of phone applications, the
computer literate I'm around know when I say apps I'm talking phone
apps.  'Did you try that app I sent you?'  They know I'm talking
phones.  'Did you take a look at that program I emailed you about?'
They know I'm referring to computer software.  I'm not sure why you
associate app with being a child...unless you know a lot of mac users.

Ha ha.  JK