That is disturbing to me - I am in a copper only DSL area of Verizon's service. I was hoping to eventually get FIOS, as no cable vendor serves my area. Now I guess I will have to hope that LTE comes to my DirectTV eventually or that a cable company decides to serve this area. I am beginning to wonder exactly what business Verizon is in - they want to get out of copper and are abandoning FIOS, so the only consumer product left is their Wireless cellphone business.

At the same time, there is a push in congress to find ways to get some kind of "universal internet service" (similar to universal telephone service) out to rural areas. And by rural, it would appear to include much of suburbia. I wonder where this will all lead.

Mike