1a. Re: Hello, and language sketch.
    From: neo gu
1b. Re: Hello, and language sketch.
    From: Galen Buttitta
1c. Re: Hello, and language sketch.
    From: Aodhán Aannestad

2a. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Adam Walker
2b. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Roger Mills
2c. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: C. Brickner
2d. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Padraic Brown
2e. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Scar Cvxni
2f. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Padraic Brown
2g. Re: Animal Noises?
    From: Douglas Koller

3a. Re: Fwd: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters
    From: Zach Wellstood
3b. Re: Fwd: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters
    From: Padraic Brown

1a. Re: Hello, and language sketch.
    Posted by: "neo gu" qiihos...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am ((PDT))

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:28:43 -0500, Aodhán Aannestad
<tolkien_fr...@aannestad.com> wrote:

>Hello! I'm a longtime lurker, finally deciding to get involved a little.
>Some of you may have met me at the last LCC, I'm with UT Austin's
>conlang club and I drove some people around. I've been conlanging on and
>off for quite some time now, but I don't have much to show for it - I
>tend to be singlemindedly focused on realism, and as my level of
>linguistics knowledge has increased I've scrapped and restarted on
>several occasions due to realising how horribly unrealistic of a
>language I'd created. This is kind of the latest iteration of that
>cycle, and as I'm done with all the core undergrad ling classes now
>hopefully I've run out of major things to learn and it'll prove to be
>the last.

Welcome to active participation!

I'm not one of the experts on naturalistic conlanging, but I do have one
comment: one of your fricatives is showing up as a /?/ in the archives; also,
/w j ? l/.

--
Jeff Jones

    Posted by: "Galen Buttitta" satorarepotenetoperarot...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:35 am ((PDT))

Based on the location of that first /?/ I'm going to guess that it's a
voiceless dental fricative. Is that correct, and is the second /?/ supposed to
be an alveolar approximant?

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

    Posted by: "Aodhán Aannestad" tolkien_fr...@aannestad.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:50 pm ((PDT))

On 6/24/2013 1:16 PM, neo gu wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:28:43 -0500, Aodhán Aannestad
> <tolkien_fr...@aannestad.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello! I'm a longtime lurker, finally deciding to get involved a little.
>> Some of you may have met me at the last LCC, I'm with UT Austin's
>> conlang club and I drove some people around. I've been conlanging on and
>> off for quite some time now, but I don't have much to show for it - I
>> tend to be singlemindedly focused on realism, and as my level of
>> linguistics knowledge has increased I've scrapped and restarted on
>> several occasions due to realising how horribly unrealistic of a
>> language I'd created. This is kind of the latest iteration of that
>> cycle, and as I'm done with all the core undergrad ling classes now
>> hopefully I've run out of major things to learn and it'll prove to be
>> the last.
> Welcome to active participation!
>
> I'm not one of the experts on naturalistic conlanging, but I do have one
> comment: one of your fricatives is showing up as a /?/ in the archives; also,
> /w j ? l/.
>
> --
> Jeff Jones
Oh, yeah, the email got messed up because for whatever reason my editor
is a weird mix of HTML and WYSIWYG. Those are supposed to be what's /T/
and /4/ in X-SAMPA.

> [...]
>> and 'to go (there)'. They can also be used as nominalisers (somewhat
>> ironically :P), meaning 'method' and 'process', respectively.
>>
>> There's a few other small details here and there (I've left out
>> valence-change affixes, for example), but that's a basic overview of the
>> language. The goal is realism (indeed, all else is secondary), so some
>> comments in regards to how realistic these systems are would be
>> appreciated! I've got a few ideas on where to go with it from here, but
>> if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.
>>
>> This is my main conlang project, but I'm also working on a set of
>> condialects of Japanese (splitting off at various points after around
>> 1610?), and I'd be happy to describe them if anyone's interested. (It's
>> gotten to the point where I'll slip into my primary condialect every
>> once in a while while thinking in Japanese, even when I'm not explicitly

2a. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am ((PDT))

Carrajina has a few.  Ii-au is a donkey's sound or an Englishman speaking.
 Fiufiu-tuidtuid is a bird chirping or a Florentine speaking.  I know I
have others, but I can't recall them off the top of my head

Adam

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Scar Cvxni <jeviscac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many of your conlangs have animal noises? Do you have specific animal
> species in the worlds your languages inhabit as well?
>
> I've just found my old notes for one of my conlangs, called Yuun.
>
> Animals are kept in an area called "Maab kihaa", or "Place of livestock",
> and they all have different sounds, e.g.
>
> sheep - dêêêêêê
> a certain type of local bird - reeeeca
> lizards - tetetetete
>
> etc. I'm toying with the idea of writing a couple of children's books in
> Yuun, just for fun.

2b. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm ((PDT))

The various saurians of Cindu have noises-- mostly transcribed as _cik, cek,
cak, cok, cuk_ depending on the size of the animal in question.

The lopa (sheep/goat-like) bleat-- that's _eñe_ It's also used of a
child/person wheedling for something...

The various great cats, as well and Kash people, can roar--- ñar

That's about it for now.....

2c. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm ((PDT))

How many of your conlangs have animal noises? Do you have specific animal
species in the worlds your languages inhabit as well?
========================

In Senjecas there is:

baaba, i.v. bleat.
gaɱa, i.v. squawk, caw
ĸeĸeĸű, onom. cock-a-doodle-doo
ĸ̌aĸa, i.v. quack
laaa, i.v. bark
muga, i.v. moo, low. (PIE *mug-, moo > Sp. mugir, low)
peena, i.v. purr
piipa, i.v. chirp, cheep, peep, twitter
reeta, 1) t.v. roar. 2) i.v. roar

Charlie

2d. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm ((PDT))

> From: Scar Cvxni <jeviscac...@gmail.com>

> How many of your conlangs have animal noises? Do you have specific animal
> species in the worlds your languages inhabit as well?

I suppose all my conlangs have (virtual) animal noise words, if not actually
discovered animal noise words. That is, the Teleranians keep cattle, and
presumably the cows of the World low as do cows *here*, so I would
therefore surmise that Talarian speakers have a word (or perhaps several)
words for the sounds made by cows. I just don't know what those words
are!

On the other hand, the phonology of Gôtlandish is made up entirely of animal
noises.
Or rather, sounds pronounceable by, in this case, goats.

> I'm toying with the idea of writing a couple of children's books in Yuun,
> just for fun.

Go for it!

Padraic

2e. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Scar Cvxni" jeviscac...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 pm ((PDT))

Gôtlandish sounds fascinating! I can't even begin to imagine the specific
difficulties surrounding a language that's pronounceable by animals.

On 25 June 2013 02:57, Padraic Brown <elemti...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > From: Scar Cvxni <jeviscac...@gmail.com>
>

> > How many of your conlangs have animal noises? Do you have specific animal
> > species in the worlds your languages inhabit as well?
>
> I suppose all my conlangs have (virtual) animal noise words, if not
> actually
> discovered animal noise words. That is, the Teleranians keep cattle, and
> presumably the cows of the World low as do cows *here*, so I would
> therefore surmise that Talarian speakers have a word (or perhaps several)
> words for the sounds made by cows. I just don't know what those words
> are!
>
> On the other hand, the phonology of Gôtlandish is made up entirely of
> animal noises.
> Or rather, sounds pronounceable by, in this case, goats.
>
> > I'm toying with the idea of writing a couple of children's books in
> Yuun, just for fun.
>
> Go for it!
>
> Padraic

2f. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 am ((PDT))

> From: Adam Walker carra...@gmail.com

> Carrajina has a few.  Ii-au is a donkey's sound or an Englishman speaking.
> Fiufiu-tuidtuid is a bird chirping or a Florentine speaking.  I know I
> have others, but I can't recall them off the top of my head

Heh. I like how a particular animal sound is paired with a foreign language!
Very realistic that. Is there any sort of plan involved? In other words, do
folks think that Englishmen in general are asses and Florentines are flighty
like birds? Are there any positive animal / foreign language comparisons?

Do they characterise Carrajina in like fashion (though undoubtedly with a
more positive animal)?

Padraic

> Adam

2g. Re: Animal Noises?
    Posted by: "Douglas Koller" douglaskol...@hotmail.com
    Date: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:33 am ((PDT))

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:37:42 -0400
> From: tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
> Subject: Re: Animal Noises?
> To: conl...@listserv.brown.edu

Géarthnuns:  mnehen

> laaa, i.v. bark

vokh

> muga, i.v. moo, low

émnul

> peena, i.v. purr

vurun

> piipa, i.v. chirp, cheep, peep, twitter

tsíman (as a sound, it's "tsí, tsí, tsí")

> reeta, 1) t.v. roar. 2) i.v. roar

bmaukh

Coulda sworn I had "caw", and thought possibly "meow", but no.

Kou

3a. Re: Fwd: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters
    Posted by: "Zach Wellstood" zwellst...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm ((PDT))

On Jun 24, 2013 10:35 PM, "G. van der Vegt" <gijsstri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Onlist this time, didn't notice a reply-to was set.)
>
> > There is no reason to force the case conventions of English onto
another language just
> > because those conventions happen to convenient and familiar to English
readers! When
> > transcribing my own conlangs using Latin script, I dó in fact at times
use something
> > approaching an English mode of capitalisation -- as you say, it is
useful and convenient
> > and familiar. But I don't hold anyone else to following that same
practice; and I don't
> > even follow it consistently for all languages.
>
> I strongly disagree. The point of transliteration is to make things
> convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and
> most (if not all) languages which have the Latin script as their
> native script use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the
> things English do (the main exceptions I know capitalize more, not
> less.)

I think this depends on the creator's intent so that whether or not you
follow capitalization conventions is a nonissue. In transliterating my
conlang, I'm not trying to cater to others, it's convenient for myself to
work with because it's what I know best. That being said, I understand the
minor degree of utility  capitalization has but it does change the look of
the language. Deciding to disregard capitalization conventions hasn't
really had an affect at all on readability in my opinion, simply on
aesthetics.

    Date: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 am ((PDT))

> From: Zach Wellstood <zwellst...@gmail.com>
>
>> > There is no reason to force the case conventions of English onto
>> > another language just because those conventions happen to
>> > convenient and familiar to English readers!
>
>> I strongly disagree. The point of transliteration is to make things
>> convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and
>> most (if not all) languages which have the Latin script as their
>> native script use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the
>> things English do (the main exceptions I know capitalize more, not
>> less.)
>
> I think this depends on the creator's intent so that whether or not you
> follow capitalization conventions is a nonissue. In transliterating my
> conlang, I'm not trying to cater to others, it's convenient for myself
> to work with because it's what I know best. That being said, I understand the
> minor degree of utility  capitalization has but it does change the look of
> the language. Deciding to disregard capitalization conventions hasn't
> really had an affect at all on readability in my opinion, simply on
> aesthetics.

Very much what I was trying to say, though didn't word it half so well!

Padraic