1a. Re: THEORY: Is Jespersen cycle a cycle?
    From: Leonardo Castro

2a. Re: OT: Language in the 2009 Constitution of Bolivia.
    From: Adam Walker
2b. Re: OT: Language in the 2009 Constitution of Bolivia.
    From: Leonardo Castro

3a. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    From: Jyri Lehtinen

1a. Re: THEORY: Is Jespersen cycle a cycle?
    Posted by: "Leonardo Castro" leolucas1...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 am ((PDT))

BTW, just now I realize that Jespersen cycle has not to do with the
position of the negative word in relation to the verb. It's a cycle
just because the same phenomenon happens over and over again.

Até mais!

Leonardo

    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm ((PDT))

This is way, Way, WAY over the line into NCNC.  The only reason this hasn't
errupted into a flame war is the lack of Bolivian, Peruvian or Chilean list
members to vent their spleen.  Can we end this now?

Adam

    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:12 pm ((PDT))

OK. I'm sorry.

Até mais!

Leonardo

2013/8/23 Adam Walker <carra...@gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> Bolivia
>> > gets a port and easy access; Peru gets some cash and looks good on the
>> regional
>> > and world stage; I get a Nobel Prize for solving the problem! ;))))))))))
>> >
>> > Padraic
>>
>> What is preventing you from winning a Nobel Prize might be the article
>> 267 of the Bolivian Constitution that claims "sovereignty" over the
>> territory that allows Bolivian access to the sea:
>>

>> "Artículo 267
>>
>> I. El Estado boliviano declara su derecho irrenunciable e
>> imprescriptible sobre el territorio que le dé acceso al océano
>> Pacífico y su espacio marítimo.
>>
>> II. La solución efectiva al diferendo marítimo a través de medios
>> pacíficos y el ejercicio pleno de la soberanía sobre dicho territorio
>> constituyen objetivos permanentes e irrenunciables del Estado

3a. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    Posted by: "Jyri Lehtinen" lehtinen.j...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm ((PDT))

2013/8/22 George Corley <gacor...@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Garth Wallace <gwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Wow, and here I rejected my idea of using a verb for "if" as unrealistic.
> >

> Hmmm, what would the agreement morphology look like for your "if"? "If"
> controls a clause rather than NPs, so if your verbs have any agreement
> morphology you'd have to figure out how "if" with a clausal compliment
> works there.

Actually when I think of it, deriving "if" from a verb sound easier than
doing the same for "and". Consider a language where you derive conditional
clauses from marking their verbs for progressive aspect in the manner of

"If he comes, I'll see him." = "He is coming, I'll see him."

Marking progressives with light auxiliary verbs such as "do" or "be" isn't
too odd at all (see English "is coming" for come+PROG) and especially if
the language is prone to serialising verbs this sounds like the most
natural way to do it. So let's say that our language constructs
progressives by serialising the content verb with the light verb "do".
Let's also mark both the subject and object on the verb to demonstrate how
the agreement patterns could work. The example sentence would thus be

he come-SG3.S do-SG3.S, I see-SG1.S-SG3.O he
"If he comes, I'll see him."

Now it's essentially only the verb "do" that marks the first clause as a
conditional clause and we might equally well gloss it as "if",

he come-SG3.S if-SG3.S, I see-SG1.S-SG3.O he

The agreement pattern for the verbal "if" is then just the same as for the
content verb of the conditional clause as it's really just a part of the
same complex predicate. We could do the same structure also without
serialisation by having the originally progressive marking verb take a
nominal form of the content verb as its complement (again like "is coming"
in English),

he come-NR if-SG3.S, I see-SG1.S-SG3.O he

Now it's very clear that the if-verb is heading the conditional clause and
quite naturally takes the person agreement that would logically belong to
the content verb of the clause.

This system can also be extended into distinguishing between real and
irreal conditions or in other words between "when" and "if" by
distinguishing indicative and some irreal mood on the if-verb,

he come-SG3.S if/when-SG3.S, I see-SG1.S-SG3.O he
"When he comes, I'll see him."

vs.

he come-SG3.S if/when-IRR-SG3.S, I see-SG1.S-SG3.O he
"If he comes, I'll see him."

   -Jyri