It may have been in his briefs, or just in oral argument.  When I  was on the stand as
an expert they asked me some questions along that line, as well as asked me "don't you
agree that the purpose of the Bill of Rights was to protect the states from the
federal government."  I had a lot of fun answering that question, it is not every day
you get to give a 10-15 minute history lecture to the Chief Justice of a state, as
well as to the federal judge trying the case.

Paul Finkelman