I am currently researching two related issues: (1) To what degree was the Founding generation familiar with the distinction between democracy and republicanism? (I know, for instance, that Fisher Ames was aware of the distinction at least in the early 1800s, and made some harsh remarks against democracy) and (2) Did anyone embrace democracy as superior to republicanism?  I know the writings of Jefferson, Paine, and some of the antifederalists include passages that can be interpreted as embracing democracy.  However, the conceptual scheme at the time seems always to include reference to "a republic" or republicanism. My question simply is:  To what extent was the Founding generation aware of, and to what extent did the Founding generation embrace, the distinction between democracy and republicanism, and was there anyone who wrote in favor of democracy over republicanism? (Of course, some conflicts among members of the Founding generation might have been over different conceptions of 'republicanism.') Off list replies are fine.  Thanks.

Bobby Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware