I think that the framers of the United States Constitution (and most of the
participants in this list) would agree that equality, self-determination,
deliberation, and the concept of self-rule, as Prof. Lipkin has defined it,
are all important aspects of just government, as is democracy, provided that
democracy is subject to certain checks and balances that prevent the
subordination and oppression of underrepresented minorities.

My point was that the more one builds all other aspects of just government
into one's conception of "democracy", the less useful the term "democracy"
becomes, except as a slogan.

The essence of democracy is majority rule, and majority rule can lead to
oppression, in the absence of republican checks and balances.

I think that Professor Lipkin would agree with this, and I admire his project
of trying to clarify both the historical and contemporary uses of such terms
as "democracy" and "republic".  The latter term seems to me to be a better
description of the sytem of government established by the United States
Constitution, and to represent a substantively more desirable ideal (the
common good of all citizens) than does democracy (as majority rule).
Democracy is one of several useful techniques for achieving republican
government.