I know Ilya Somin's comment below was tongue in cheek, and I often
jestingly make the point myself to my students, but the "constitution is
unconstitutional" claim is far from the only, and certainly not the
correct, answer.

As per my earlier reference to James Wilson's speeches on the subject,
the difference bewteen the source of authority for the Articles, and the
source of authority for the Constitution of 1787, is profound.  The
Articles were adopted by the legislatures of the states, acting as the
delegated agents of the people of the states.  (Francisco Martin's
"treaty" claims are much more apropos here).  The Constitution, on the
other hand, was adopted by a national people, as a charter for how they
were going to govern themselves.  The ratifications were made by the
people in their states (where else would they have been made, as one
founder noted), but the very act of ratification made them part of a
national people, engaged in constitution-making rather than
treaty-making.  That Rhode Island and North Carolina did not immediately
become part of this national people does not make the new Constitution a
treaty.  And here is the key point:  by resorting to a higher authority
(the national people, rather than merely the agents of the state
people), the 1787 convention was able to offer a constitution that had a
constitutional footing, despite the breach of the unanimity requirement
in the Articles.

John C. Eastman
Professor of Law, Chapman University School of Law
Director, The Claremont Institute Center for Constitutional
Jurisprudence