This provision was at issue in Ravara's case.  Ravara was a consul,
indicted for a crime in the fed. court of appeals in the 1790s.  Ravara
moved to quash on the ground that as a consul, his case belonged in the
Supreme Court.  He lost, 2-1, with the 2 Justices on the panel
splitting.  Ravara's case was later cited as an authority by Marbury's
counsel , Charles Lee, for the proposition that Congress may expand the
original jurisdiction of a federal court beyond what Art. III spells
out.  I use this as an exercise in precedential reasoning in my con law
class.      Dan Hoffman

Edward A Hartnett wrote:

There is at least one instance in which the Judiciary Act of 1789 gave the
inferior federal courts jurisdiction over cases that fall within the
Supreme Court's original jurisdiction.

Article III allocates to the Supreme Court's original jurisdiction "all
cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls."

Section 13 of the Judiciary Act of 1789 gave the Supreme Court "original,
but not exclusive  jurisdiction of all suits brought by ambassadors, or
other public ministers, or in which a consul, or vice consul, shall be a
party."

Section 9 gave the district courts "jurisdiction exclusively of the courts
of the several States, of all suits against consuls or vice-consuls."
(This grant was subject to an exception for certain offences.)

Under the JA of 1789, then, both the district courts and the Supreme Court
had original jurisdiction over these cases against consuls or vice-consuls,
but state courts did not.

Ed Hartnett Seton Hall

"Matthew J. Franck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] U> cc: Sent by: Discussion Subject: Re: Further Yet Re: Query on Eleventh Amendment list for con law professors <[EMAIL PROTECTED] v.ucla.edu>

08/19/03 10:12 AM Please respond to Discussion list for con law professors

Louise,

       I do not question the correctness of Ames v. Kansas or of Illinois
v. Milwaukee.  At least I don't think I do!  But those are post-1875 cases,
hence governed by the statutes that newly endowed the lower federal courts
with general federal question jurisdiction.  The Judiciary Act of 1789 did
not accord the federal district and circuit courts such jurisdiction, so I
surmise that the "original but not exclusive" jurisdiction of the Supreme
Court in sec. 13 of that act is a reference to the jurisdiction's being
concurrent with the state courts, not lower federal ones.  (Perhaps that
could be qualified as to the district courts' admiralty jurisdiction in
sec. 9, if a state is party to such a case.)  In short, I did not mean to
say that Congress could not make the Court's original jurisdiction
concurrent with that of lower federal courts--only that in the 1789 act it
did not do so.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck