I have to disagree with part of John Parry's post. A ban on all religious
speech in the park would not simply be content discrimination. It would also
be viewpoint discrimination, as we learn from Lamb's Chapel and Good News
Club. Thus, even if the park were a nonpublic forum, so that reasonable
content discrimination would be permissible, religious speech could not be
banned from the park.

My understanding, though, is that streets and parks are traditional public
forums; thus even viewpoint-neutral content-based regulation is probably
impermissible.

I certainly hope that some way can be found to keep this terrible monument
out of the park, but it can't be done by banning religious speech. A more
promising approach (as others have suggested) would be to prohibit all
permanent private monuments (probably a reasonable,
content-and-viewpoint-neutral time, place, and manner regulation) and to
take up the Eagles on their offer to remove the Ten Commandments monument.
I'd have to think more about whether a prohibition on monuments that
personally attack an individual could be upheld.

If for some reason the anti-Shepard monument is placed in the park, it
likely will not remain legible (or in one piece) for long, unless it is
guarded day and night. I don't think the city has an obligation to guard it,
as long as the city does not discriminate in its protection of the private
monuments in the park or in its enforcement of vandalism ordinances. This is
not to say that a city has no obligation to protect those who would speak in
person in the parks, but I don't think that the obligation to protect
against intimidation of speakers can be extended to an obligation to protect
an inanimate object placed permanently in a park.

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law