Taft thought Lochner sub silentio overruled in Bunting.  See his Atkins dissent.  Thus, whatever remained of Lochner was overruled when Atkins was overruled.

Mark A. Graber

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/30/03 11:58AM >>>
        My colleague, Erin Daly, asks  the following question: Is there any evidence that there was a deliberate decision  not to overrule Lochner and if so, what would have been the rationale?

        The more general question is whether (and why) Lochner was not formally overruled. Perhaps, the 1937 Revolution obviated the need to formally overrule Lochner. Perhaps, the Court has a vested interest in being right, or at least not being wrong.

        Consider  Akhil Amar's comment in a Harv. L. Rev. Forward:

"Thus, a later Court that rejects an earlier "proposal" must admit that "we" made a mistake. This is psychologically harder to do than to say that "they"--some other institution--erred. Ambition is not cleanly counteracting ambition. In fact, the Court has been rather bad at forthrightly admitting error. Many important admissions have never occurred; others have been grudging and indirect. It is not hard to see why. Every confession of past error invites readers to question the infallibility of the Court, including the current Court: "You say you were wrong before--perhaps you are wrong now?" The Court's general disinclination to confess error has distorted the path of the law and the state of current doctrine. . . .  Even a case as obviously overruled as Lochner was not overruled forthrightly. Pop quiz: Which case explicitly overrules Lochner?"

        I'm sure Amar is at least partially right. Since Lochner was so "obviously overruled," perhaps the Court was simply reluctant to call specific and formal attention to its error. However, not wanting to admit one is wrong might be a psychological truth about many or even most people, but it still leaves me unsatisfied as an explanation in this context.  Why wouldn't a Court clearly reversing a period of judicial (activist?) review not formally declare the best known opinion of that era overruled?  Perhaps, the Court, even in these revolutionary circumstances, is loathe to formally take Lochner off the board completely.  Perhaps, the Court recognizes the cyclical  aspect of constitutional change, and thus wants to preserve Lochner's viability for another day. However, this is implausible because surely Lochner, whether formally overruled or not, was not viable in the future.  Moreover, if circumstances made it likely that Lochner would be viable in the future an earlier formal overruling of the case would not stand in the way of its resurrection. Or maybe it would.. Has the Court ever resurrected an overruled case? If so, how significant was the case?

        Both Erin and I would welcome comments.

Bobby Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware