Nope, using the maven-release-plugin [1] would be enough as it takes care of
checking/changing versions both in the dependencies (if there is any
-SNAPSHOT dependency) and in the modules' versions.
A very quickly look at the process goes like running mvn release:prepare
which signs artifact, creating a svn tag with the release version and
preparing the poms for the next development version, then if the RC is ok
run mvn release:perform otherwise if there is any problem run mvn
release:rollback to bring back the trunk to the -SNAPSHOT version.
One more nice thing would be to add the apache-pom as parent pom of our
manifoldcf-parent:

        <parent>
<groupId>org.apache</groupId>
 <artifactId>apache</artifactId>
<version>9</version>
 <relativePath />
</parent>

 this will allow using the -Papache-release option (enabling the
apache-release profile) to create reports and sign artifacts.
Hope this helps.
Tommaso