Hi Jukka,

> * The release signing guide [1] recommends to have also SHA1 checksums
> for the release.

We'll try to incorporate this in the future.

> * The approach to do an svn checkout as a part of the build is a bit
> troublesome. The build will fail as soon as Lucene rearranges their
> svn tree.

I agree, but it seems the least bad of our choices.  Since we are
building a Lucene/Solr module, our alternatives are: (a) Include the
entire Lucene/Solr tree in our package; (b) Check out a copy of
lucene/solr and put our stuff in and build it; (c) Download a release
source version of Lucene/Solr, unpack it, and then do the same as (b).
 (a) results in a massive package for little gain.  (b) is the
approach I finally took.  And I didn't do (c) because for Lucene/Solr
4.x there is no package to download yet.

> * Would it make sense to contribute this code directly to Solr instead
> of having it in ManifoldCF? Especially since the code has no direct
> ManifoldCF dependencies.

Tried to do this for more than a year.  I had 6 committers willing and
happy to commit, but then another committer vetoed it just before that
happened.  I can name names if you like, but the reason was apparently
that they want Lucene and Solr to become much more minimal than it is
now.  Since the politics and stars were not in alignment, I decided
we'd have to make the best of it somehow.

Karl