>How did you evaluated that -65dbm is better than -45dbm? On scanning events
>amount?
>-65 is usually already low signal. (relatively to the noise however)

3 meters away from 5GHz access point and my laptop shows -47dBm, with 2.4GHz ap
5m away -54dBm, I really don't want to scan every 30secs.

With quite many Qualcomm based Android devices WCNSS settings have:
gNeighborLookupThreshold=76
gNeighborReassocThreshold=81

So having -65dBm instead of -45dBm should be still reasonable.

>Depends on what you are trying to achieve, a better user experience (better
>connectivity) or better battery life.
>I bet such background scans are not that power greedy (it's all passive
>anyway). Though it would require
>a proper physical measurement to know about that.

It's not really passive as the device is told to scan every 30secs and
bg_simple will go through all channels and not just particular ones like
bg_learn.

>When you say "scanning will block other operations", this is a bit scary:
>bg_scan in wpa_supplicant handles
>concurrent scan requests and others properly. It should not block anything
>really.

Scanning itself blocks all other operations as the wlan-chip will need to go
through all available channels and it can't handle data transmit/receive during
that time.

See: QoS-Aware Channel Scanning for  IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN,
http://w3.antd.nist.gov/pubs/1569105587.pdf

Br,
Pasi