(Reply to consdistlist Digest, Vol 2, Issue 3, Message: 7

From: James Elwing <eg.archi...@gmail.com>
To: ConsDistList <consdistlist@cool.conservation-us.org>
Subject: Re: [Consdistlist] Effects of soluble nylon on 18th century

In further reply to Melanie Sorensens enquiry, I have two UNESCO book titles which mention application of soluble nylon. Both are in the NLA. 'The Conservation of Cultural Property', UNESCO Paris 1968, in the chapter ''Leather, wood, bone and ivory, and archival materials', page 287, by AE Werner, in which a 2% solution in methanol, ethanol, or IMS is 'sprayed or brushed on to the paper.'
'Conservation and Restoration of Archival Material' by Yash Pal Kapthalia, Unesco Paris 1973, p124-125, in which a 15g/litre solution of soluble nylon in 'alcohol' is dissolved at 40deg C, and the document is dipped in the solution. So application has been by dipping, brushing or spraying. The concept of reversing of this size by immersion in hot alcohol apparently held no concerns. Since the document has probably got a degree of burn through from iron inks, I might try to find out if soluble nylon is a plus or a minus in this regard, particularly if you can't find a suitable solvent. I don't keep a lot of solvents, but I am impressed that the soluble nylon powder does not even swell in methylene chloride/ dichloro methane/ =paint stripper. The lone interesting quality soluble nylon apparently retains is water permeability.

James Elwing