From: Neven Peko <neven.p...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Consdistlist] conservation of mammoth bone and tusk

Dear colleagues,
Do you have any idea how to consolidate [mammoth tusk] without using solvents
such as ethanol or acetone? We would prefer to use a water-based system because
of health risks.

Also, a large part of our mammoth bones collection was treated in sixties by
immersion in diluted PVA or PVAc glue (white thick wood glue). Do you have any
idea how to chemically remove it without affecting the very porous bone? Also,
do you have any suggestions on how to consolidate bone previously treated in
this manner?

Thank you all!
Neven

I did my B.Sc. dissertation at the Institute of Archaeology, University of
London on The Consolidation of Archaeological Bone. I found that the PVA
emulsions were not appropriate for consolidation as they did not penetrate
well.  I recommend the use of the acrylic colloidal dispersion, Primal WS-24,
primarily because it is a water-based system. Depending on when the previous
consolidation was done, it may be very difficult to remove old PVA of PVAc
white glue.  I have also recommended WS-24 for palaeontological material.
For more information see my publications:  Koob, Stephen P., "Consolidation
with acrylic colloidal dispersions", Paper presented to the Ninth Annual
Meeting of the American Institute for Conservation, AIC Preprints, 1981, pp.
86-89; Koob, Stephen P., "The consolidation of archaeological bone", Paper
presented to the 1984 IIC Congress, Paris, Adhesives and Consolidants
Preprints, pp. 98 102.

Stephen Koob
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way