Marybeth Tomka asked:

"We recently came upon some plates from 1960s publications that appear to be
aluminum offset printing plates.  How should I be storing these.  They seem in
good condition and are now being stored in flat map folders in a room that is
kept at 60 degrees and 50-55% humidity.  Should I remove them from the folders
and store separately or are they save in with paper products?"

These plates are now about 50 years old, and apparently still in good
condition. If the map folders are of archival quality, and not buffered, you
shouldn't have a problem. Based on that, I'd be inclined to leave them alone.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

George Bailey, FIIC
Senior Objects Conservator | Collection Services
george.bai...@awm.gov.au<mailto:first.lastn...@awm.gov.au> | t 02 6243 4490 | f
Australian War Memorial | GPO Box 345 Canberra ACT 2601 | www.awm.gov.au

[AWM Logo not displayed in text email]

This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for its
recipient(s). If you have received this email by error, please delete this
e-mail from your system and notify the sender immediately. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure. E-mail information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, be incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
contents of this message.