Dear colleagues,
Does anyone have experience with the use of quaternary ammonium chloride on
metals? Quaternary ammonium chloride is a chemical commonly used as
disinfectant (both concentrated and diluted) : we will need to treat a large
number of objects that have been possibly contaminated with bat guano. It’s a
pretty strong chemical with a pH comprised between 11 and 12 and described as a
strong oxidizer in the safety sheet. I didn’t found a lot of documentation, the
most interesting study is: Greg McBride Effects of the Quaternary Ammonium
Disinfectant Green Solutions High Dilution (1.8%) on Metals and Non-Metallic
Materials used in Fire Operations, available online.

Does any of you have any experience on treating bat/rat/mouse contaminated
metal objects (mainly brass)? What products have you used? Have you done any
testing on Quaternary ammonium chloride?

Thanks a lot,
Emanuele

EMANUELE MARCONI
Conservator