>From looking at a range of literature, so far, I have come across various
>decontaminates used to clean the hard surfaces and equipment of quarantine
>rooms which have temporarily held mould infested material within library and
>archive depositories.

These range from warm soapy water, household disinfectants, 0.5 % sodium
Hyperchlorite and of course 70:30% alcohol:water solution (the alcohol used
varies too)

I also came across a couple of studies regarding the use of Tea Tree Oil
(Melaleuca alternifolia) and its ability to eliminate conidial spores, (the
mould typically found in library and archive material). In tests it
outperformed other solutions such as the ones mentioned above.

Has anyone got any thoughts or experience about using this for decontaminating
quarantine rooms etc?Obviously it would not be used on the contaminated items
themselves and would be thoroughly rinsed off the worktops before reuse. I am
interested because it could be safer for both the user and the environment.

Deborah Farndell ACR
Senior Conservator
Conservation and Collection Care Department
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR
Tel:  44(0)1223 333 017