We have a painting on thin paperboard by Marie Laurencin. It is coated with a
thick, somewhat uneven layer of a very discolored (yellowish brown) resinous
material.  The paint underneath is the usual bright colors that appear to be
the usual for this artist. The coating swells in acetone and propanol, but is
not soluble in either.  When the coating is removed, most of the paint is very
matte, with a few of the darker colors being slightly less so.  No analysis has
been carried out as yet on these various materials.  I wonder if anyone has
encountered a similar situation with paintings by Laurencin, or her
compatriots.  I would be happy to discuss this off line if that would be easier.

Paul Himmelstein

Appelbaum & Himmelstein LLC
444 Central Park West
New York, NY  10025