Application for reports on the treatment of wire-sewn books
 
My name is Andrea Friedli. I am a student of conservation-restoration at the
Bern Universtiy of the arts and I write my masters thesis on wire-sewn
books. 
 
³Wiresewing² or ³staplebinding² of books was invented in 1875 by the
American Henry Renno Heyl and the German brothers August and Hugo Brehmer in
Philadelphia.
 It was the first technique to do the binding of the textblock by machine
and therefore is a significant step in the industrialization of bookbinding
and of the books development towards a mass product.
 
With this method, to join the sections to a textblock, wire staples are
driven through the sections fold and through a backing material (gauze or
bands) and clinched over at the back to secure the sheets.
 
The obvious problem with this technique is the rusting of the wire-staples.
This causes the deterioration of the paper and backing materials as well as
the weakening of the staple itself. In consequence these books are prone to
mechanical damage up to the point of falling apart.
 
I am addressing this issue in my masters thesis aiming at defining the phase
the technique has been used and investigating appropriate measures for the
treatment of damaged wire-sewn books.
 
The phase will be examined by analysing archival collections based on
gathered clues from research.
In order to find suitable treatment options reports of current practises are
collected as well as possibly alternative methods sought for and developed.
A selection of these methods shall be implemented and evaluated.
 
I address all, who have experience with wire-sawn books, asking to learn
your approach to the issue:
 
What was the damage or problem?
What methods have been applied?
Has the texblock been taken apart and the staples removed, or has the
original sewing been wholly or partially preserved?
What materials have been used?
Has special attention been paid to the issue of introducing moisture?
 
I shall be glad to receive any information or suggestion concerning the
topic of wire-sewn books and their conservation and restoration.
 
With my masters thesis I hope to contribute to the preservation of wire-sewn
books as cultural objects and bearers of information. I would be very happy
about your participation and support in this project and thank you for
considering this application.
I am looking forward to your response.
 
Andrea Friedli
Dorfstrasse 21 
3324 Hindelbank
CH
[email protected]


******
Unsubscribe by sending a message to [email protected]
Searchable archives: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/

Reply via email to