Hi,

I'd like to make a submission to Consdistlist regarding my dissertation
topic on green solvents. Please find message below.

Kindest regards,
Thea Christophersen

Submission:

Subject: Query: Experience with green solvents?

Dear reader,

Do you have experience with applying green, bio-derived solvents in your
practice?

I'm an MSc student in my final year of the Conservation for Archaeology and
Museums programme (UCL). I'm currently completing an internship with
National Museums Scotland (NMS) as part of my degree. I'm also conducting
experimental research for my dissertation topic regarding green solvents to
potentially substitute one of the most commonly used petrochemicals in
conservation, White spirit (type 1, European standard).

My research is focused on a particular area of conservation where White
spirit is frequently used: removing wax from ironwork. The selection of
solvents are: d-Limonene, Dipentene, Isopropyl Myristate and Isopropyl
Palmitate. All derive from renewable biological sources (citrus fruits,
pine stumps, myristic and palmitic acid, respectively).

To assess their potential use in metal conservation, I'm conducting several
application-orientated experiments employing analytical equipment in the
NMS science laboratory. Three are focused on detecting potential adverse
effects to iron from exposure to each of the solvents, four are concerned
with the efficacy of each solvent in removing wax relative to White spirit.

If you have any experience with either of the listed solvents, please get
in touch by email: t.christopher...@nms.ac.uk. Your knowledge and
experience would be highly appreciated!

Kindest regards,
Thea Christophersen