Hello,

I am working on a Roman glass vessel suffering from delamination of the
iridescent patina. The patina is limited to one side of the object and it is
quite fragile. It has flaked off easily. I attempted consolidation with 10%
Paraloid B72 w/v in 50:50 ims:acetone as well as 12% Paraloid B72 w/v in
acetone. For some reason the areas where the consolidant was applied became
white. I think this is due to the space between the delaminating layer and the
substrate. When I applied acetone to remove these white spots the area went
white before the solvent evaporated. I am wondering whether anyone has
experienced a situation like this and if there are any recommendations for
consolidating such an object in light of the difficulty I mentioned above.

Best,
Maria Melendez
Conservation Intern
Fitzwilliam Museum