The Book and Paper Group (BPG) of the American Institute for Conservation
(AIC) welcomes abstracts for the 48th Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City,
Utah, May 19–23, 2019.

*The BPG program will include:*

- BPG session presentations

- Library Collections Conservation Discussion Group (LCCDG)

- Art on Paper Discussion Group (APDG)

- BPG Business Meeting

- BPG Evening Reception

Abstracts for BPG session presentations may be related to the 2020 meeting
theme, Conservation: Reactive and Proactive, or address other aspects of
the conservation of art on paper, archival materials, bound volumes,
manuscripts, or similar materials. Abstracts are encouraged from anyone
with an interest or role in conservation, including current BPG members,
other Specialty Group members, and related professionals.

We also are considering offering a group of talks on varnished paper, a
compelling and often challenging topic, suggested by fellow BPG members.
Varnished paper may include technical or treatment based talks on subjects
ranging from varnish on paper, fixatives on paper, coated paper, and
transparent paper. The interpretation of the topic is intended to be
expansive, and therefore other related subjects also will be considered.

Presentations will be 15 or 25 minutes with additional time for questions.
Panel discussions that address areas of broad interest to the BPG
membership also will be considered. We hope a combination of differently
timed talks both will enliven our program and allow for more time for
discussion.

*How to submit an abstract:* This year we are using Firebird, a new
abstract management tool. For instructions on how to navigate Firebird,
visit:
https://www.culturalheritage.org/events/annual-meeting/current-meeting/call-for-submissions/submission-tool-and-instructions.
To go directly to the abstract submission portal, visit:
https://flame.firebird.systems/AIC/AIC2020. You will need to sign up to
access Firebird. After signing up, select “My Submissions,” which includes
both talks and posters. AIC allows authors to prioritize three session
types, including if you’d like to be considered for a talk and a poster.
There is not a separate category for the Varnished Paper talks; any
abstract submitted to BPG automatically will be considered for this.
Abstracts are 500 words maximum; the submission deadline is Monday,
September 16, 2019.

Abstracts will be reviewed by the BPG Abstract Selection Committee, which
is composed of the BPG Program Chair, BPG Assistant Program Chair, and
other BPG members selected to reflect a balance of expertise and
specialties within our membership to the extent possible.

Please contact Eliza Spaulding, BPG Program Chair (elizaspauld...@gmail.com) or
Andrea Knowlton, BPG Assistant Program Chair (aknowlton....@gmail.com) with
any questions. Thank you for sharing your work with us. We look forward to
your submissions!
******