Dear colleagues,

Posting on behalf of enquirer from Rotorua, New Zealand:

I was wondering whether you would have any guidance on what level of
ambient sulphur in the environment can affect or degrade physical records
or plant specimens stored in an air-conditioned storage room, and what
steps are advised to prevent degradation?

In Rotorua we have hydrogen sulphide, sulphur dioxide AND sulphur monoxide.

Since sulphur monoxide is lethal (and odourless), I don’t know if anyone
has done any research on how it interacts with mere paper. I know the other
two do damage paper, the question is just how much we should worry about
them.

Any advice on how we can prevent further damage? Air conditioning filters?
Different storage containers?

Anna Whitehead
Conservator
Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kawanatanga
10 Mulgrave Street,
PO Box 12-050,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand