AIC 48th Annual Meeting: Call for Presentations Abstract Submission Portal Open

The American Institute for Conservation's 48th Annual Meeting will be held in
Salt Lake City, UT, May 19-23, 2020. Pre-sessions will take place on May 19 and
20 and will consist of workshops, seminars, and study tours. The main
conference on May 21-23 will feature general and specialty sessions focused on
the following theme: Conservation - Reactive and Proactive.

For more information on the meeting theme, please visit the Annual Meeting
webpages:
https://www.culturalheritage.org/events/annual-meeting/current-meeting/call-for-submissions/specific-specialty-call

2020 Call for Presentations
We seek abstracts for four separate Calls for Presentations for the 2020 annual
meeting. All abstracts should be no more than 500 words with a separate
300-word biography. All abstracts are due by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September
16, 2019.

The four calls include:

Concurrent General Session, Specialty Session, and Poster Session
Abstracts submitted to the main conference for concurrent or specialty/network
sessions should conform to our standard arrangement of no more than 2 speakers
presenting in a 30-minute time slot. Visit linked pages to view all of the
proposed topics.

Opening General Session
For 2020 we are seeking short, idea-focused talks that address the concept of
Navigating Change. Following a format begun in 2019, these 12-minute talks
should include only a few slides in a style similar to TED talks. We hope to
feature talks from a diversity of voices and perspectives, addressing
big-picture issues in conservation and collections care. Please note that
submitting an idea-focused talk to the opening session does not preclude
submission of a separate abstract to the concurrent general sessions or to the
specialty group sessions.

Pre-meeting or Lunch-time Sessions
We are also considering topics for a half-day pre-meeting session or for 60 to
90 minute panel presentations that don’t really fit in the other categories for
pre-session for lunch time programing.

Workshop Proposals
Workshops can be a half day, full day, or two days long and may take place in a
conference center meeting room or in a lab or facility at a cultural
institution in Salt Lake City. We work to develop workshops of high quality and
on a broad range of topics to enhance continuing education for conservation
professionals. Workshops may focus on specific materials, specialties, or
processes useful to the conservation profession at large; adapt knowledge from
allied professions that is pertinent to a general conservation audience;
advance the field of conservation; or focus on skills useful to conservators as
a refresher course.

All abstracts are due by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 16, 2019.

Please visit our Call for Submissions webpage to submit your abstract for any
of the four call listed above:
https://www.culturalheritage.org/events/annual-meeting/current-meeting/call-for-submissions

More on the Annual Meeting Theme: Conservation - Reactive and Proactive
We work in a rapidly changing world. Globally, the economy is volatile, the
marketplace demanding, and the negative impact of climate change looms large in
conservation. Many collecting institutions have shifted their priorities to
preventive conservation for collections and interactive learning in
exhibitions, which can decrease emphasis on traditional conservation treatment
and the supremacy of original display materials. Conservation professionals are
drawing from a wide skill set to respond to these challenges in creative and
productive ways. From offering conservation services that go beyond treatment,
to focusing on sustainability, to utilizing materials science and technical art
history in public education, our field is adapting and evolving. In 2020, we’ll
explore ways we can anticipate and embrace change.

Ruth Seyler
Meetings & Advocacy Director

american institute for conservation
Preserving Cultural Heritage
rsey...@culturalheritage.org
(t) 202.661.8062 | (f) 202.452.9545
727 15th St NW | Suite 500 | Washington, DC | 20005
******