CAC Reconciliation Working Group - Announcement and Fundraising

With new policies and legislation being developed at a national level to comply
with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
(UNDRIP) and the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action, the Canadian
Association for Conservation of Cultural Property (CAC), as a national
organization, has a duty to keep pace with these efforts. Canadian conservators
often have a uniquely intimate relationship with cultural material belonging to
the Inuit, Métis, and First Nation Peoples, held in both private and public
collections; this privileged position will profoundly impact the way that
reconciliation takes place on the ground in Canada.

We are very pleased to announce that the CAC Board has approved a proposal put
forward by the Ad-hoc Advocacy Committee to implement a Reconciliation Working
Group (RWG) as of May 2020 to address how our organization should be
contributing to and promoting reconciliation with the Indigenous Peoples of the
territories in which we work.

The mandate of the RWG will be to develop a formal position for the CAC  on the
care, community access and repatriation of materials of Indigenous origin, and
to reflect this position in CAC working documents, which may include the Codes
of Ethics and Guidelines of Practice. The group will be active for two years,
and will involve engaged consultation, skill-sharing activities, meetings, and
rich discussions. All activities will conform with the OCAP® (Ownership,
Control, Access, Possession) principles of collaborative research with
Indigenous communities developed by the First Nations Information Governance
Center (https://fnigc.ca/ocap).

Objectives
(1) Expand our conservation professional standards to respect Indigenous
perspectives in cultural preservation.
(2) Establish a framework for a collaborative practice towards the care and
preservation of Indigenous materials, including practical guidelines for
providing access to collections and facilitating repatriations.

RWG Structure
14-20 Indigenous and non-Indigenous conservators and stewards of Inuit, Métis,
and First Nations cultural heritage who will volunteer or be nominated by their
peers. Including three Co-Chairs from the CAC membership, and three Secretaries
from the CAC Adhoc Advocacy Committee.
Membership will be subdivided into three regional groups: Western, Interior,
and Eastern.

Funding
The timeline of our consultation process is highly dependent on the success of
multiple grant proposals being submitted this fall. In the interim, we have
launched a GoFundMe campaign to help raise funds. Please show your support by
contributing to this crowdfunding initiative:
www.gofundme.com/f/art-conservators-for-truth-and-reconciliation
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/art-conservators-for-truth-and-reconciliation>
Donations are 100% tax deductible.

To ensure that the formation of the RWG is transparent and democratic, we
invite you to give suggestions and feedback as well as nominate someone or
express your interest to contribute.

The complete project proposal is available on CAC’s website in English
<https://www.cac-accr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/reconciliation-working-group-proposal.pdf>
 and in French
<https://www.cac-accr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/proposition-pour-le-groupe-de-travail-sur-la-rconciliation.pdf>
 (https://www.cac-accr.ca/about-us/).
If you have further questions about the project, please contact the group
secretaries Lauren Osmond, Julia Campbell-Such, and Charlotte Parent via
rwg.cac.a...@gmail.com <mailto:rwg.cac.a...@gmail.com>.

Best,

CAC Ad-hoc Advocacy Committee

The Canadian Association for Conservation of Cultural Property (CAC) represents
conservation professionals who work throughout the traditional territories of
First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples across Canada. The CAC wishes to express
gratitude on behalf of all its members for the opportunity to live and work on
these lands, and acknowledges the location of its secretariat on the
traditional, unceded territories of the Algonquin nation.

******