We have been asked recently to do a preventive conservation project for a
historical collection of the Faculty of Chemistry, University of Belgrade.
The collection consists of different devices, lab-ware, tools and
instruments, but also of hundreds of flasks and jars with original
chemicals, some of them 150 years old. They are displayed in narrow
showcases in a corridor next to the working lab of the Faculty, and the
employees working in the lab started to report significant fumes coming out
of the showcases. It is completely natural, since some of the vessels have
original cork stoppers, but the glass is also very deteriorated in many of
them.
Does anyone have experience with collections of chemicals, especially in
terms of reacting with the glass? Where could I find which chemicals are
the most aggressive towards glass? Where can I look for the sensitivity of
different chemical compounds to light, temperature, RH?

Veljko Dzikic
Conservator

Centre for Preventive Conservation
Central Institute for Conservation