As Christian said, named queries are pre-compiled to SQL. With dynamic
queries, perf can be not good because for each execution, the JPQL request
is recompile to SQL, so parsing, creation of the JPQL tree then SQL
generation, and with your solution, you concatenate lot of String. It isn't
important for one request but with lot of request, you use more time and
cpu, for string concatenation, it is better to use StringBuilder that is
more performant than String addition or StringBuffer.

An other argument for named queries is that with dynamic queries, if they
aren't written correctly (it isn't the case for your code ;) ), it is easy
to introduce some malicious SQL code with parameters

my two cents.
Emmanuel