I agree with your assessment.

Sometimes calling is "prompting" -- saying what needs to happen next,
and saying it early enough to mentally "land" and turn into action.

Sometimes calling is repeating a real-time narration, a rhythmic
script for the dancer to memorize and then internally recite/follow.

It's good to know which one to use, when... :)