One night in Nelson it was someone named - I think - Larry's birthday.

I was calling a generic dance with a generic "First gent + second lady
do something for 8 beats that makes them swap sides" moment.

(I don't remember what the exact original move was - maybe allemande R 1&1/2?)

but Larry hollered "I don't want to do that, makes my arm hurt! It's
my birthday so I'm going to do a gypsy instead!"

So I said on mic -  "OK, folks, you heard him, everyone has to do what
Larry says instead, it's his birthday"

So each time through the dance Larry hollered "Swing!" or "DoSiDo!"
and we all did that.

Being Nelson on a Monday in the summer, the choices started to
get...creative...and by the time the dance was over we'd done The Swim
and the Funky Chicken and the Macarena as well as the whole repertoire
of contra moves.

I think the card might still be in my stack, re-named "What He Said!".
Should go find it. :)

Thanks for kicking up that memory!