Hi,

As we know, the txn rate-limiter *blocks* creation of new transaction(s) if the
permits are not granted by rate-limiter.
So, in context of the direct broker clients within ODL , this creates a level
of backpressure which is understandable.

But if the broker clients are invoked from the edge modules (eg. Neutron NB),
the external client(s) could typically block. But the external client (eg.
Neutron agent outside ODL process) may have a timeout and can fail the request
as consequence. Are such external systems, expected to implement retry based on
the timeout (of course with some backoff mechanism) ?

What I am trying to understand is - if the external clients do not implement
any backoff, can this result in thundering-herd problems ?

I do not have a real running usecase on hand to prove/verify this. Would like
to hear recommendations if anybody had experienced similar scenario(s).

Regards
Muthu