On 2003-06-05(Thu) 23:27:54 +0200, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> Eventually we came to the following conclusion:
> - removing "Provides: automake" from automake1.7 (my preference) was not
> prefered;

In my not so humble opinion, no package should ever require automake
without indicating the version. In current way "foobar: BuildRequires
automake" is just asking for trouble. Packagers are freely asking
other versions of automake to overwrite the stock files in tarball. (And
the version is dependent on which machine the package is built -- say,
automake1.7 in machine A, automake1.6 in B, automake1.4 in C)

> - using "automake1.7" to fill in the "Requires automake" in rpmbuild
> (instead of automake) isn't a good idea, since it pulls in autoconf2.5.
> This will impact packages that "BuildRequires: autoconf2.5" when
> building with automake1.4;

Hardcode rpmbuild and use automake1.7 to replace "Requires
automake" !?!?

> - automake-1.4 is not exactly the same as automake1.7 (so perhaps it
> shouldn't Provide automake after all?). Some packages that work with
> automake-1.4 may not work with automake1.7, however, we don't know
> _what_ will be impacted.

That's my suggestion; no automake* package should ever "Provides
automake", and no other packages should "Requires automake". They should
"Requires automake1.4" or "Requires automake1.7" (or 1.6) instead. Then
fix all spec files that need to execute automake.

Just a suggestion anyway, though I've been suggesting this since
automake 1.4p6 tarball is released. :-(

> anyway... that's the status. we're letting things be as they are for
> now. I guess automake-1.4 is considered the standard.

While all of the world is slowly moving away from automake 1.4. :-(

Abel

--
Abel Cheung
Linux counter #256983   | http://counter.li.org